Our Adult Volunteer Program is for all individuals aged 18 years and older. Applicants should be able to pass a background check, commit to a minimum of 8 hours per month for at least one full year and comfortably interact with guests as a representative of Moody Gardens. Additional volunteer positions become available with the accrual of 40 hours of volunteer service. Accrued hours do not guarantee acceptance into any position. Advanced volunteer positions, such as volunteering behind the scenes alongside our Rainforest keepers and Aquarists, are demanding, competitive and require an internal application process.
We do not accept individuals seeking court-appointed service hours and at this time, we cannot accept international applicants.
Volunteer Diver Program
Interested in the Moody Gardens Volunteer Diver Program? Below are the requirements to be completed before helping our staff maintain exhibits and work with animals underwater. Before submitting your application, be sure to review these and ensure you are able to make these dates work with your schedule. Applicants must be able to fulfill each requirement in succession to progress through on-boarding and begin participation in regular volunteer diver shifts. Applicants unable to satisfy an individual requirement are still able to participate in the general volunteer program and will be encouraged to reapply to the volunteer diver program in the next application period. These will be covered in greater detail during interview for successful applicants.
- Minimum of 10 logged dives - Logs will be assessed during interview process
- AAUS Medical (Approximately $225) – Deadline March 31st (Please wait until after you have completed the Volunteer Orientation before completing this requirement. Specific Moody Gardens forms are needed)
- Swim Test and Dive Assessment – April 18th or 19th (Try to be available on both days to permit scheduling flexibility)
- 2 non-diving volunteer shifts completed behind the scenes with staff prior to a mandatory DAN First Aid for Dive Professionals Class
- DAN First Aid for Dive Professionals Class – April 25th or May 9th
Why Should You Volunteer?
Our volunteers are a diverse group of individuals that comprise a variety of professions, backgrounds, and ages. Each has a distinct passion to share our mission with our guests. In exchange for volunteers sharing their passion with us the Volunteer Program offers professional development opportunities, social events, member benefits, recognition of service, and opportunities to learn about and get an up close look at how Moody Gardens operates.
What Roles Are Available?
As a public, non-profit educational destination utilizing nature in the advancement of rehabilitation, conservation, recreation and research, most of our volunteers initially focus on guest experience for a minimum of 40 hours and then based off of availability may apply to work behind the scenes alongside our staff keepers and aquarists. The exception to this is for those interested in the Volunteer Dive Program.
We also encourage skill specific applicants. If you have a passion for sharing a specific skill (e.g. marketing, events, arts, electrical, etc) please submit an application and contact us directly detailing your interest.
How To Become A Volunteer
- Submit a General Volunteer Application or a Dive Volunteer Application. (Applications will be accepted in January and September.)
- You will be contacted by email to sign up for an interview where you will receive a better understanding of the program and the position(s) you are interested in working.
- We will run a Criminal History Background Check on all applicants as part of the interview process. Applicants must be cleared before being accepted.
- If accepted into the program, you will be contacted with our available orientation dates.
- At orientation, you will learn about Moody Gardens as well as receive training on our customer service, safety, and general policies. Confirm your chosen volunteer area and schedule any training sessions that might be necessary for your area.
- Accept your volunteer name tag, volunteer shirt and official welcome!
- Attend any required training sessions